Tuesday, February 07, 2006

We're upgrading the site!

Dear visitors and comics lovers!


It's been a pleasure to be with you so far. I never thought that the site would grow in to a size like this so soon. But it did!

When I started the site, I planned it to be an online achieve or gallery of the local Bangladeshi comics. The first comic links were put up only to serve as temporary content. But then, the "temporary content" turned out to be most interesting among the visitors; no surprises at that.

And just look at it now: four hundred visitors without any advertisement or promotion (well, that, if you don't count me mentioning the site every week in my column in the biggest national daily of the country…)! But that doesn't count, does it? Most of the visitors are from outside Bangladesh anyway.

Just imagine what'd it grow into if we start promoting the site!

For all these months, Blogger has been a very nice host. I loved the easiness and the simplicity of it. It was so easy to open the "create new post" page, write stuff in it, copy the links, upload the pics and submitting it. Easily done. But that's where the fun ends. It's too simple. It misses out too many needed features.

I want to sort the posts by categories and tags; make the posts browsable page by page so that you don't have to dig through the achieves for something recent that you've missed… and it needed to looks cleaner and better. I didn't like the previous chocolate-cream look and although I this new black looks pretty cool in Firefox, it looks awful in IE and Opera.

So here's what I'm thinking we should do:

First, as I've mentioned in the earlier post, we're getting a domain name. BDcomics.net sounds nice and you guys apparently like it. I like it too, but would have liked a .com name a bit better. Ah well. We're getting that domain, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Also, we've clearly outgrown Blogger. We need something better, more efficient and something that has more features. Wordpress looks promising! It does all the things that we'd need and more. What do you say?

As for the hosting, me and my friend BDgamer has got it covered.


All that sounds great, doesn't it?

Comments:
WordPress looks like the most promising blogging platform if you've got your own hosting. Open source; plenty of documentation; their home page is nicely crafted. These guys are obviously making quality stuff. Go for it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?